Celebrating birthdays in the workplace is a great way to bond with your co-workers. Whether it’s your boss, colleague, or client who’s turning a year older, an excellent way to send your wishes is through a greeting card.
While birthday cards are thoughtful and personal, they can also be professional and appropriate to give to someone you work with. In short, they’re a perfect mix of being sweet, fun, and discreet. Not sure what to write? We’ve compiled a few samples of birthday messages to help you greet your co-worker and start a great working relationship!
For Your Boss, Mentor, or Client
Even if your boss is the friendliest person and you’ve already shared a drink or two, remember that it’s still a professional relationship. When it comes to greeting your superior or client, you want to be personal and formal at the same time. Here are some ways you can word a birthday card for your employer or customer:
- Just a quick note to say Happy Birthday, and hope that the year ahead is a healthy and happy one!
- Happy Birthday to someone who deserves a day off! I appreciate working with you, and I hope your special day is filled with all the things that mean the most to you.
- Sharing my workdays with you gives me all the strength and guidance I need to be not only a better worker but a better person, too. Happy Birthday and may every wish of yours come true!
- Warmest wishes on your Birthday, I hope you spend some time treating yourself!
- What I really enjoy the most at work is working with such a pleasant and kind person as you are. Happy Birthday!
For Your Colleague, Team Member, and Office mate
These are the people who you’re probably closest to at the office. You’ve shared countless of sleepless nights working on some memorable projects. You’ve attended parties with them, and may even be close with their spouses. As such, your birthday card can be as funny and witty as you want them to be. Here are a few examples:
- You make this place tolerable—and that’s not an easy job! Happy Birthday! P.S.: Drinks later?
- Happy Birthday to the world’s best co-worker. Feel free to send a similar message to me on November 20. P.S.: That’s my birthday, in case you didn’t know!
- Congratulations, you are another year closer to retirement. I couldn’t imagine working with anyone else, wishing you a big bonus and a big raise this year. Happy Birthday!
- Getting to work with someone as awesome as me should be the only birthday present you need, and it even lasts all year long.
- Happy Birthday to a person that holds the Guinness Record for the longest lunch break ever! I’m kidding, but the way you make a half-hour lunch last for an entire evening is really magnificent.
For Someone Who Works For You
If a subordinate is celebrating their birthday, you may want to express your gratitude for being a great team player. Here are some ways:
- Happy Birthday and thanks for all you do throughout the year.
- Happy Birthday! You are a great co-worker and a great friend! Have a kick-ass birthday!
- Having a co-worker like you is like having my birthday every day. You are a true gift here at work.
- Here’s to another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip!
- The warmest wishes for the most exceptional co-worker ever. Happy Birthday!
With a thoughtfully written birthday card, you can convey your appreciation for the people who you spend a great deal of time with. Remember to make it personal and meaningful. Happy writing!