Turning 18 is a huge milestone and lots of people in the UK go above and beyond when celebrating this birthday. Seeing as transitioning from a teenager to an adult is a big deal, it calls for a birthday card that’s equally as impressive. But when you’re choosing an 18th birthday card, you may be faced with a dilemma; Should you go for a funny card that makes the recipient laugh or choose a sincere one that tugs at their heartstrings?
Well, if you’re shopping with us, you’ll find a huge variety of birthday cards with hilarious punch lines or slightly rude comments that are guaranteed to make you chuckle. Ordering a funny 18th birthday card from You Said It can help to make this milestone birthday more memorable. Yet, it’s crucial to decide on a tone that’s right for the recipient, so we have explored how you can make this important decision below.
Does Tone Matter?
In short, yes. The tone of the card you purchase can have more of an impact than you might think. The tone you choose can set the entire mood for the birthday celebration. Pick the wrong tone and you could end up sending a message you didn’t intend. A funny card may come off as insulting or dismissive to someone who values deep emotional connections, while an overly sentimental card might seem out of place for someone who enjoys a bit of banter.
Know Your Audience
The first step in determining whether to go the funny or sincere route is to consider the personality of the birthday boy or girl;
- The Comedian – If they’re known for their sense of humour, a funny card may be the best bet. You can almost guarantee they will find it hilarious.
- The Sentimentalist – For someone who treasures sentimental items, a heartfelt card could hit the mark. They might keep it for years to come.
- The Sarcasm King/Queen – If they’re fond of edgy humour or sarcasm, one of our cheeky or even rude cards could be a winner, making a lasting impression.
Nature of Your Relationship
Of course, your relationship with the recipient plays a significant role in selecting the tone too. You might not choose the same card for your own child as you would your niece/nephew, or even a friend or colleague.
- Close Family and Friends – With people you’re close to, you will likely know how they will react to the card they receive. You will probably have more leeway to pick a funny card that aligns with shared experiences and inside jokes too.
- Acquaintances and Colleagues – In these cases, it’s often safer to go for a neutral card. You may be able to opt for something slightly humorous, as long as it won’t offend them. After all, that’s the last thing you want on their 18th birthday.
Current Life Circumstances
This can be easy to forget, but it’s key to take into account what the recipient is going through at the time of their birthday. While generally speaking, birthdays are happy times, this isn’t always the case. For example, if they’ve had a challenging year, a sincere card acknowledging their resilience could be more appropriate. On the other hand, humour could serve as a welcome relief. Take into consideration how the recipient is handling whatever they may be facing.
Why Not Do Both?
Who says you have to choose between funny and sincere? If you’re still on the fence, consider a card that combines both of these things. Perhaps order a card with something funny on the front and add a heartfelt message on the inside. This solution provides the best of both worlds.
Looking for Funny 18th Birthday Cards?
Deciding between a funny or sincere 18th birthday card shouldn’t be a stressful ordeal. It’s all about choosing the best option for the recipient and you can use what you know about them to your advantage when ordering a card. Whether you opt for humour, sentimentality or a mix of both, the key is to choose a card that they will love and cherish. After all, they only turn 18 once and the right card can help to make it unforgettable.
If you decide a funny 18th birthday card is the way to go, there is no better website to turn to. Here at You Said It, we have a great selection of funny and rude cards, and there really is something for everyone on our website. We can deliver the card to you so you can handwrite a message inside or we can print a message so you can send it straight to the recipient. We can even make bespoke cards, so if you can’t find what you’re looking for just send us an email to [email protected].